Job Announcement: Media and Events Specialist
20 hrs./week, non-exempt position
Founded in 1974, originally as part of the Model Cities Initiative, the Northeast Coalition of Neighborhoods (NECN), a 501(c)(3) tax‐exempt organization, is one of seven district coalitions collaborating with the City of Portland’s Office of Neighborhood Involvement (ONI) and neighborhood associations to advance neighborhood livability through highly inclusive civic engagement and grassroots community‐building activities. NECN serves neighborhood associations of inner north and northeast Portland. NECN believes in creating healthy communities by engaging citizens to become directly involved in determining how their neighborhoods evolve.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Media and Events Specialist works with all NECN staff to provide assistance on a wide array programming. This position will work with the Executive Director, Community and Environmental Engagement Manager, Planning and Operations Manager and the Small Grants and Fiscal Sponsorship Coordinator to assist with tasks as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- The Media and Events Specialist (MES) is expected to do the following:
- Manage and update NECN’s online calendar, and provide district input to the Office of Neighborhood Involvement’s online calendar of events.
- Manage and maintain NECN website
- MES will assist staff in updating social media including
- Monthly E-News
- Quarterly newspaper publication
- Collect and edit written content
- Identify opportunities and strategies for expanding reach
- Collect photos and create graphics
- Assist with contacts and database updates
- In coordination with Executive Director and other staff, create and staff community events.
Quarterly Grant Reporting
- Collect data regarding all aspects of NECN’s media outreach for quarterly reporting to funders.
- Collect and compile narrative reports for review by Executive Director
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate has a passion for civic engagement and will have the skills and abilities to work in partnership with others (including neighborhood volunteers, board, staff, and community partners) to achieve our organizational mission.
- Experience working with social media and web development.
- Experience coordinating volunteers and ability to cultivate partnerships and work with diverse groups.
- Experience developing and implementing training, events, and workshops.
- Flexibility in hours with the ability to work some nights and weekends
- Experience working with diverse cultural groups
- Commitment to NECN mission of promoting civic engagement and community building
- Ability to prioritize work projects and meet deadlines with limited supervision
- Familiarity with research, policy analysis and community advocacy efforts.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel (comfortable working with formulas), and Word.
- Familiarity with WordPress, Google Docs, and Google Calendars.
- An associate’s degree or a combination of relevant education and work experience
- Proficiency with Adobe Suite
- Understanding of the Portland Neighborhood System and City Government
- Familiarity with inner North/Northeast Portland neighborhoods and their history.
- Community organizing experience
- Professional experience in Government, Non‐Profit and/or Public Sector industries
- Proficiency in language(s) in addition to English
Expected Starting Pay Rate and Benefits
- 20 hours per week at $17/hour
- 13 Paid Holidays
- 2 weeks annual vacation (accrued)
- 2 weeks annual sick days (accrued)
- 4 Annual Floating/Personal Holiday Days (1 day accrued quarterly)
This position has the potential to grow into full time.
Resumes and cover letters for this position will be considered on an immediate basis and the interview-to-hiring process will occur on a rolling basis through November 14, 2017.
Please include in your information packet:
- A detailed cover letter demonstrating how your skillset, passion, experience and aptitude match this position.
- A detailed resume or CV
- Three professional references
Please send the three above items (preferably in PDF format) to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Hiring Committee: Media and Events Specialist” in the subject line, or by mail to: Hiring Committee, NECN, 4815 NE 7th Avenue, Portland, OR 97211.
NECN is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, genetics, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other non-merit factor.