Join us to advocate for strong schools!
**Please note: due to the holiday, the Schools Committee will not have a November meeting. Also, our December meeting is being re-scheduled from December 26th to Thursday, December 5th.**
NECN’s Schools Committee is composed of N/NE neighbors engaged in research, information-sharing and advocacy around school and education issues throughout North and Northeast Portland such as:
- Inadequate school funding
- Lack of transparency and accountability in decision-making processes
- Addressing the way in which funding inadequacies lead to inequities and lack of excellence in some schools
- Addressing race, gentrification and equity
- Researches school funding mechanisms, such as Measure 5.
- Hosts guest speakers such as Matt Morton, Portland Public Schools Board, State Representative Lew Frederick, Steve Novick, Multnomah County Commissioner Loretta Smith and representatives from local measure campaigns.
- Advocates for a fair and equitable process during PPS boundary and enrollment decisions
- Connects with NECN’s advocacy process, making recommendations to the NECN Board for public advocacy statements
- Actively reaches out to other community members for information and ideas
Meets the 4th Thursday of every month, 6:30PM ( Note: See top of page for next meeting date as some meetings will change during the holiday season. )
All meetings are open to the public.
For more information, contact Claire at 503-388-9030 or claire.adamsick@NECoalition.org.
NECN staff maintains an Schools Announcement email listserv, if you would like to be added, ask a staff member or email a request to strongschools@NECoalition.org.
Schools Committee Meeting Agendas and Minutes
|October||Draft minutes||10/24 Agenda|
|April 2012||Initial meeting notes||n/a|
|August 2012||Minutes not yet available||Agenda|
|September 2012||Special Meeting Minutes, Draft Regular Meeting Minutes||Agenda|
|October 2012||Schools Draft Minutes||Agenda|
|December 2012||Meeting Summary||Agenda|