We hosted presentations to help the community understand the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) proposed cleanup plan for the Portland Harbor and how to have a voice in the process. After hearing from the Audubon Society, Willamette Riverkeeper, Verde, and Portland Harbor Community Advisory Group, we submitted a letter to the EPA requesting a more robust Portland Harbor Cleanup, which includes:
- Lifting the fish consumption advisory warning for all people.
- Relying less on “monitored natural recovery”.
- Taking toxic dredged sediments to an appropriate landfill.
- Holding responsible parties accountable for creating a safer Portland Harbor.
- Including the Yakama Nation and all local tribal entities of interest in the proposa
Read the full letter HERE
We got a 30-day comment period extension!
We now have 90-days to comment on the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) proposed clean-up plan. That means we now have until September 6 to provide comments. NECN requested that the EPA extend the proposed comment period for the Portland Harbor Superfund Cleanup Plan from 60 a minimum of 90 days.
A 60-day comment period was inadequate for a plan of this complexity and importance. A 60-day comment period did not provide adequate opportunity for public notice and did not allow adequate time for meaningful review, analysis and community engagement.
We were especially concerned that a short comment period would disproportionately disenfranchise low-income and underserved communities, including those who are most at risk from the contamination of the Portland Harbor, because they rely on the Willamette River for subsistence fishing. These communities are often difficult to reach and engage in a public comment period and, thus, a 60-day comment period was inequitable, and unacceptable, to us. All members of our neighborhoods deserve the opportunity to have a reasonable public comment period that reflects the complexity, density, and importance of this plan.
Submit Formal Public Comment – Comments are due by September 6, 2016
Written comments on the Proposed Plan may be sent to:
- Email form letters and petitions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use EPA online comment box
- Postal mail – must be postmarked by midnight, September 6: Attn: Harbor Comments, U.S. EPA, 805 SW Broadway, Suite 500, Portland, OR 97205
Official EPA Public Meetings to take oral and written public comments and overview the Proposed Plan will be held on the following dates in Portland, OR:
- June 24, 2016, 11:30am-8pm, City of Portland Building, 1120 SW 5th Ave.
- June 29, 2016, 11:30am-8pm, EXPO Center, 2060 N Marine Dr.
- July 11, 2016, 11:30am-8pm, University Place Conference Center, 310 SW Lincoln St.
- July 20, 2016, 11:30am-8pm, Ambridge Center, 1333 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
EPA will offer two presentations during each public meeting: 12-12:30 pm and 6-6:30 pm.
Notify Laura Knudsen (email@example.com), (503) 326-3280, no later than two weeks prior to a public meeting to request language interpretation assistance.
Portland Harbor Community Advisory Group – View master calendar to find events on the Portland Harbor Superfund in Portland